A table that you can make for under $30? It’s true! I had some of the supplies on hand like the stain, white latex paint, and silver spray paint. This looks so chic and clean next to some rustic elements in our family room. I love the ease of this and how easy it was to find these items at my local Target and Home Depot. This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
I started first by prepping my wood round. I lightly sanded it, even though it came pre-sanded, and wiped it off with a soft, lint-free rag. I began by using my favorite stain, Minwax Weathered Oak. You can tell how much I love my stain by the dented can above! You’ll want to use a skewer to stir your stain. It allows the smaller particles in the bottom to mix more evenly with the mineral spirits. Dip your rag inside and rub your stain in the direction of the grain of the wood. I did 3 coats of stain with about 1 hour between each coat.
Make sure your edges are also filled with the stain. I did that with a sponge brush and a rag underneath to catch any drips. I only had to do one coat of that. Now to the accent paint. I used my trusty blue painter’s tape and sectioned off a piece of the wood. I just chose how much I wanted to be the accent color. There was no science to this part, obviously. I made sure I pressed real securely on the edges to make sure I had no bleeding.
While the top was drying, I sprayed my base. I could have left it white, but the color of white in my house is a creamy white, not a true white which is the color of this base. It would have looked fine, but for someone like me who can’t handle even the slightest offset of colors, I couldn’t let this fly. I just used some silver spray paint I had on hand leftover from another art project. I just sprayed it on my grass. Now I’ve got a pretty silver circle in my front yard! If anyone is looking for me in the sky, you’ll know where I am! Of course, I didn’t take any pictures…whomp, whomp!
However, I will show you I secured the base. I placed the top that I wanted on the ground face down then measured 2″ in all around. I placed the bin so the open side was facing up and placed in the middle of the wood round. I then took my masonry staples and hammered them onto the round. These are very sturdy, I only needed 4 and it held like a champ. I flipped it over, dusted it off, and sprayed a final coat of my quick drying polyurethane from Rustoleum, another one of my faves I keep on hand.
I love how this turned out. It was a day project, but each step maybe took about 5-20 minutes each. This has ended up looking really classy and elegant in our room. I love it paired with our old glass medicine bottles. I live for the old and the new. I live to create. I can’t take all the credit. I did get a lot of inspiration from this original wire side table from Jenna Sue. Take a look at the finished product and let me know how you think it looks.